What is ISO ? Explain its Standards ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 . Discuss Its Objectives , working and Versions
>> November 28, 2009
The following contents are covered under Business Environment of MBA First semester
Meaning of ISO
ISO means international standard organisation . In business environment , ISO word is so famous and International organisation provides standards to those business oraganisations who fulfill its conditions . It has
authority to issue certificate of quality management and quality environment . There are large numbers of business organisation who satisfy the conditions . They have ISO certificate .
ISO's official site is at the url http://www.iso.org/iso/home.htm
ISO (International Organization for Standardization) is the world's largest developer and publisher of International Standards. This organisation has made by participation of all countries .Its central secretariat is in Geneva , Switzerland .It is NGO which helps to promote business by providing them solution of quality problems .
Meaning of ISO 9000
This is the latest version of International organisation for standardisation which gives to those organisation who satisfy the following condition
- It fulfills the quality requirements of customers .
- It fulfills regulatory requirements .
- Customers satisfaction
- Continual improvement in quality management .
- Records should show how and where raw materials and products were processed, to allow products and problems to be traced to the source.
- You need to test and document whether the product meets design requirements, regulatory requirements and user needs.
Meaning of ISO 14000
ISO 14000 is standard certificate which gives to those business organisation who fulfill the conditions relating to quality environment . Quality environments means all measure to protect the environment from pollution .
- Company has minimized harmful effect on environment by proper control on waste and pollution.
- Achieve improvement in its environment performance by planting the trees and other projects .
- ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 are given after taking test of products who apply for same and ISO takes also some fees for issuing the certificate . There is no guarantee , any quality of end products but almost all ISO products are high quality .
- The certificate will be for three years and after this product will again review for giving certificate .
Objectives of ISO 9000 and ISO 14000
1. To Increase the goodwill of company
Main objective of getting these standards is to increase the goodwill of company. Customer can compare the quality of two companies , one is with ISO standard and other is without ISO standard . Goodwill may be in form of increase in sale or more promotion of product of company.
2. Control on Quality
After getting ISO standards , company has to control on quality and it is the objective of ISO standards . ISO standard 9000 controls product's quality and ISO 14000 controls environment quality .
After coming , ISO 9000 and ISO , 14000 companies have started to label the product by eco labeling . Moreover awarness has come in the minds of company after ist ISO standard in 1987.
Working of ISO
ISO 9000 is more powerful tool to get confidence in market . Company can invite customers to check the quality before purchasing the products. It will only possible after implement ISO 9000 standards . Every product's package is with ISO 9000 and customer can understand its value .
- ISO 9001 : 1987
- ISO 9002 : 1987
- ISO 9003: 1987
- ISO 9000: 1987 , 1994 , 2000
- ISO 9000 : 2008
- ISO 9001 : 2008
ISO 14000 version
- ISO 14000 family version
- ISO 14001 : 2004 EMS
- ISO 14020 ,14021 , 14022 , 14023 , 14024 , 14025